0 Flares 0 Flares ×
What’s on sale in May?
May is a very busy month in my house every year. It seems like I wake up and its the first, I blink and then we are into June. May has lots of great items on sale and I try to stock up with enough to last me a year of the items I use a lot of.
Big ticket items that I’ve noticed have been on sale include: Mattresses, Patio furniture, and refrigerators.
- Cinco de Mayo items: salsa, shredded cheese, tortillas, tortilla chips, canned and refried beans, shredded lettuce, pinatas, candy, frozen Mexican foods.
- Mother’s Day: bouquets, gift sets, perfumes, chocolates, photo frames, crafts, candles, and jewelry. Remember to shop after the holiday for the next year for lower costs. I won’t tell your mom I promise!!
- Memorial Day: Condiments, chips, dips, paper plates, napkins, silverware any of the goodies for picnics and outings!!
- Gardening items: plants, flowers, seeds, water cans (I make my own), soil, weed killers >>>I buy all of this stuff at the end of the summer when its on clearance and save it for the next year.
- Seasonal Produce: artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beets, carrots, corn, green beans, onions, potatoes, strawberries
- Graduation party supplies (end of month)
- Spring planting, flower bulbs
- Winter clearance deep discounts now on linens, shoes, boots, jackets, coats, clothing etc
What’s in Season?
- cherries, okra, zucchini
- rhubarb, artichokes
- Asparagus, peas
- Broccoli, lettuce, apricot
- Pineapples, watermelon (toward months end) avocado, artichokes cauliflower, celery
- radish, garlic, onions
- leeks, beets, turnips, carrots, onions potatoes, spinach
- Lemon, red grapefruit
- orange, apricots, kiwi
- mango papaya, d’anjou pear, strawberries
Things to Do in May
- Look for free events in your area; May 4th free comic book day
- May 10th National public gardens day
- Remember to schedule your little ones for free events like the Lowes Build and Grow or Home Depot
- Harvest buttons and shoe laces off of shirts and shoes that are unusable and can’t be donated (save for another use, pair of shoes etc)
- Hit yard sales for things you need and schedule a yard sale to get rid of unwanted stuff
- Challenge your family to a weekend of “no spending”
- 1 May Day
- 4 Star Wars Day
- 5 Cinco de Mayo
- 6 National Teacher’s Day
- 8 VE Day, WW II
- 12 Mother’s Day – second Sunday
- 18 Armed Forces Day -third Saturday
- 24 Victoria Day (Canada)
- 27 Memorial Day